Monday, December 30, 2013

Year In Review

January
Job switcheroo. I quit my beloved FHHI for a new opportunity at the beginning of the year. It's been a wild challenging ride ever since.

I said goodbye to a huge chunk of my childhood in the form of my grandparent's house.

Dustin and I went to our first Solar Bears game.

Erin's birthday dinner at The Cheesecake Factory.

February
Moving on up. Only weeks after I started my new job, Dustin and I moved into our current residence. It's almost a year later and we are still loving it. We hope to be here for awhile.

Dustin and I had the loveliest of Valentine's Days.

We had a housewarming party with my old work peeps and then enjoyed even more friend hangs. I remember that being a super fun weekend.

March
Dustin and I celebrated EIGHT years together in Tampa at The Florida Aquarium. And here's a cute little story about how we got our start.

Erin and I attended our first Big Bang Bazaar of the year and it rocked!

We all had a blast at Jesenia's Bridal Shower.

April
Jesenia and I saw Taylor Swift (and Ed Sheeran) in concert for the first time and then almost died while driving through the ghetto.

Erin, Sam and I participated in our first ever 5K Color Run and it was even more awesome than I had imagined it.

We celebrated Dustin's birthday in style at Dave and Busters and then Erin and I saw Andrew McMahon at The Beachum downtown.

Sam roped me into a hair challenge that was pretty cool.

May
I helped our friend Nicole all the way in Ohio with a project for one of her students. I had the best time with Flat Savannah.

Erin and I beached it up at Flagler.

Big haircut. I chopped off my long hair after growing it for almost 2 years.  It was exciting and pretty damn therapeutic.

June
My birthday was the shit. Dustin and I spent the weekend in Siesta Key and it was a dream.

July
Erin came over and we rocked the socks off Independence Day.

We met up with Matt & Rachelle at Dixie Crossroads in Titusville and then on a whim drove down to Cocoa.

I finally got some family photos taken of Dustin, Cody and I.

Lindsey had the cutest baby shower of all time.

August
I got to have the honor of marrying Nicole and Jimmie! And the same weekend, Erin and I went canoeing - alone.

We said goodbye to Aunt Roda.

Erin and I had a sleepover. ON A SCHOOL NIGHT!

September
Dustin and I boarded the Titanic.

Erin and I saw F.U.N. and Tegan and Sara in concert for the first time. Party!

I put myself out there in a big way when I wrote my Childfree post.

October
Sam and I attended our 10 year high school reunion.

That one time I thought I was concussed.

We had a kick-ass Halloween Party.

November
Erin and I spent a weekend in Savannah, GA.

Dustin and I had the best time at the Paramore show.

We said goodbye to Grandpa Joe.

And spent Thanksgiving at home - just the two of us.

December
We took another trip to Dixie Crossroads - this time with Erin.

Erin, Tim and I spent a day at Disney.

Dustin and I spent Christmas in Gainesville.

*  **  *

What a weird year. It was both wonderful and awful in equal parts. But such is life. I think the one thing that stands out the most for me is all the losses. Between Dustin and I, we had three relatives die in a matter of months. And several friends of ours have also had to deal with the passing of loved ones this year. Not only that, but I lost people in other ways too. Some I chose to cut out of my life. Some I just drifted away from. And then there is of course the loss in the form of distance. None of them were easy but life goes on and we all must move forward regardless.

I honestly don't know what 2014 will hold for me; for us. I usually have some idea, some kind of picture in my mind of how I want things to be when a new year is approaching but not this time. I'm hoping for lots of good change. I'm hoping for a bit more control in my life. I am making decisions that I hope better me in the future. There's not a lot I want in the new year. I just want to feel happiness again. I want to feel wanted and loved again. I want to find peace in a lot of aspects of my life. It sounds simple enough but I know it's a lot more complicated than that. 

I know we all hype up new years but it really does feel like a clean slate; a fresh start and I am going to treat it as such. 2014 will be the year that I take care of myself first. I care way too deeply about people when I need to put myself first some of the time especially when 99% of those people don't give a shit about me. It sounds so ridiculously emo of me to say but those are the facts. It is what it is.

I do know FOR SURE that parts of this upcoming year are going to rule so hard. I mean, Dustin and I have already bought tickets to Pittsburgh. And then the new London/Diagon Alley will be opening at Universal. So that's already TWO things to look forward to. And I'm a huge believer in always having something to look forward to even if it's something as small as a lunch date with a friend or as extravagant as a trip across the country. I like counting down to the fun stuff. I like that anticipation because it makes all the shitty stuff that pops up out of no where a little more bearable. 

So goodbye 2013! I'm hoping 2014 really kicks the shit out of you. In the best way. For all of us.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.